Thursday, May 21, 2009

Catching Shit

This title makes me cringe a little. I have two little ones at home and I try not to cuss, let alone type a word like this into a blog post, but I had to title it this way. Today I caught some shit. No, this is not colorful language, a metaphor or an exaggeration. I literally caught shit today. I know it sounds bad, but it did teach me something.

I'm sure you're scratching you head wondering how the heck I'm going to spin shit into a learning experience... told you this blog was crazy. Well here goes...

I was giving my 15-month-old a bath. Most of you with children know where this is going. I normally time my youngest son's baths to avoid bathtub B.M.s. Well today he was being a really good, he loves bathes and he has yet to poop in the tub on my watch. Only my mother-in-law had had the privilege until today.

So I was letting him play in the tub, in his bath seat, and then I noticed he was struggling to get up. I normally don't let him walk around in the tub, but I thought to myself come on, "let him play Amy." He won't, you know. So I got him up out of the chair and let him walk around playing with the fire duck faucet cover and splash in the water. I happen to be messing with my phone trying to get a picture of my cute little Danny, when I saw it; a brown protrusion that wasn't there a minute ago. There it was hanging. What else could I do. I didn't want to have to clean it out of the tub. So... I caught. I literally caught shit from my son.

This kind of stuff happens to all parents at one time or another, but it got me thinking. I need to clean my son and my tub, but aside from that. This event made me think that I don't usually put myself in this position. I normally never give my son a bath when there is a possibility of poopage. I'm so scared of catching shit, I limit him.

I do the same thing with my social media marketing. I limit myself. I feel like I need to restrict the personal info I share and screen everything I post. I need to keep everyone at arms length and always throw some Marketing spin in there. I also worry about cluing the competition in on some advantages by sharing how I bolster public relations and marketing using social media. But by trying to be so careful it becomes work. It's not fun that way and it's not me.

Let's face if worst comes to worst and I end posting something too telling, I'll catch shit, just like today. But you know what? It wasn't that bad. Caught it, flushed it, washed the baby, washed my hands, and it was over. Took all of about 5 minutes. It was stinky and gross, but it was a small price to pay for the fun my little guy was having.

I feel that way about all of this. I could continue to carefully pick and choose my posts until I suck all of the fun out of blogging, tweeting and facebooking. The closer I get to that the less I post. Or, I can let my stinky brown protrusion hang out. Ok, I have taken this comparison too far. You get the point.

I'm going to let it all hang out here. I hope to post useful content, but I may post some crap from time to time. That's ok. It's going to be honest and real. I want you to know me. I hope to learn from you and I hope I can help you learn. And I want to have some fun socializing on this medium. I'm crazy about it... Kamimauzy out!

Tags: | | | | |

3 comments:

Judy said...

You go, girl! That is SO funny. Besides, it's true. It's such a great analogy to blogging and to life, in general.

Kaphoen said...

Thankfully mine are all grown - but they keep coming with their offspring, and I refuse to catch theirs.

Good post Amy, I like your attitude. Where would you like this blog to go, i.e. what is your objective?

Twitter @underutoo

Amy Mauzy (@kamimauzy) said...

Thank you so much for the comment Kaphoen @underutoo. And thank you for the follow on Twitter. @kamimauzy

My objective is to learn, mainly. I work in PR and Marketing for Malibu Boats, but I want to continue to learn and in the process better myself and the company. I want to share what I learn and make new friends without being a slave to a sales pitch or spin. Ultimately, I would like this blog and everything I am learning to aid in my goal of being a public speaker, but I am just going to enjoy this ride for now. Blogging, working, tweeting, mothering... etc.

Thanks again for the comment. I love your approach to welcoming a new twitter follower. I am learning from you already. Thank you.